Justice may be blind, but it can see in the dark

Do you remember that line? Can you remember who used to say it?
Kavi bought a packet of Chickadees after lunch yesterday, and we munched on them, as we worked all yesterday evening. Of course this naturally made us start singing the chickadees song, which goes:

“Saya Charlie Chickadee, yang ranggup enak sekali… (translated: ‘I am Charlie Chickadee, who’s most crispy and tasty’)” (in the ads of our childhood, the cartoon Charlie Chickadee is the same chicken you see on the packet these days, and he would be singing and dancing to this song… unfortunately we can’t remember the rest of the words...)

This led us to reminisce about the cartoons that we used to watch when we were kids. Over tea, we sat down and remembered fondly the days of Ultraman . We had a proper ultraman in those days, who had a zip at the back of his costume, and some rays came out of his hands… not at all like the ultramen, ultrawomen and ultrakids you get nowadays… there's apparently an ultra family... how can? why are there so many? tsk tsk tsk.


There is only supposed to be one Ultraman, and every week, he would defend the earth by defeating and overthrowing all sorts of silly monsters in Japan… The monsters were invariably strange, and suffered from superfluous appendages which waved uselessly while they trod mercilessly on downtown Japan, which usually crumbled to dust week after week, only to be resurrected for the next episode – After losing the fight for the first 5 minutes, Ultraman would vanquish or slay or knock off the head of that monster, and the world (and primarily Japan) would be safe for another week… the last show of the original show (without the so called ultra family) was made in 1966 or thereabouts and you can watch it here

From Ultraman, we wandered off to Thundercats (“Thun-der, thun-der, thun-der Catss!”) and Transformers (“Trans-formers, more than meets the eye…”) and our personal favourite, Jem and the Holograms… Showtime Synergy!



(if you don't remember, Jem is the leader of the Holograms and the most popular singer of her day. She is the alter-ego of Jerrica Benton, owner of Starlight Music. Using the power of Synergy, an incredibly powerful holographic/audio synthesizer, Jerrica can become Jem by touching her star-shaped earrings and saying "Showtime Synergy".) i loved the songs... although, we wondered yesterday why the rest of the Holograms never figured out that Jem and Jerrica are the same person...


i have to add however that my favourite kid's show remains SesameStreet, which i can watch even today. I love it, and the fact that they show is brought to you by letters and numbers (as coincidentally, is our blog).

Then we remembered our fav tv shows – the A Team (Mr.T and that other crazy guy, Murdoch), Knight Rider (we loved it. Kit! The amazing car. We wanted Kit… and now we are all deeply embarrassed about it, because my God! What a show! What hair! How horrific it all seems… why did we adore it, and him, and this horrible show? in retrospect, we cannot answer you all these questions, but hope you won’t judge us for this awful lapse in taste and judgment. We grew up to become brilliant lawyers, so perhaps it was all some sort of growing up trial), McGyver (we all loved him, except for Shan, who didn’t want to say), Remington Steel (we were the first to know PierceBrosnan is dishy). Magnum PI (that mustache really explains my choice in husbands), Manimal (tell me you remember this show…)… and then we somehow wandered off to… Equal Justice…

Do you remember that? The judge! He had long hair! The leather jacket guy in the bike, who went around killing criminals who had appeared before him in his alter ego as the judge with hair tied up and slicked over in the day (seriously, it really bugs me that the police force in that show, never figured it out that criminals acquitted by this judge wound up dead. It didn’t matter to them that a mysterious long haired guy in a bike had been seen around the murder scene… If only they had CSI then. They could have just picked up a piece of long hair, checked the tyre tracks, dusted the dead guy, found some suspicious blood on the judge with tied up hair… and put an end to this menace. At the end of every show, he would look seriously at the camera and say:

“Justice may be blind, but it can see in the dark!!!!! “

How it could see in the dark, was presumably so obvious that they didn’t have to explain it to us….

Comments

Anonymous said…
I cant thank you enough for bringing back so many nostalgic memories of my favourite cartoons and tv short serials - yummy remington steele and magnum pi - I loved the dark justice judge - I wanted to be like him too - only thing I cant fit on top of a motor bike. Come to think of it, I do not fit on to a lot of things these days.
My love to all of you. I really missed Githanjali. Hearing her yesterday brought me to tears. I am softie where she is concerned. And that little madam is so REAL.

I promise myself that I will visit you 'this day' and then my coming new generation will do something unexpected and all thoughts fly out of my head and I am left holding Sumi's hand. I wish I could say 'tsk,tsk..' but I vowed a lifetime of motherhood (I cant remember when I did that) and I am holding up my end of the vow.

I am so happy to hear that wedding bells are on December 8th. I am already wanting to lose weight to fit into my 6 yards of saree!!

I missed Avinaash's birthday cake. Where are the photographs? I sms'ed his mother on his birthday though. I hope he recieved my birthday wishes.

I wish I knew what MS won the gold trophy for - though he already has the best trophy of all times - Sri Vidya - but then a second smaller trophy (the gold one) is OK.

Shan's blog comments are as always cute.

The photographs posted on the blog page are super. The office looks amazingly warm but efficient. Thank you for reminding what I am missing.
sri said…
oh, it was so nice to come in, and see your comments, my dear.
please keep popping in. we truly miss you. Cis - to think we could have drooled over remington steele together during that tea...
Unknown said…
hey how is having Chickadees going to assist you guys in the wieght loss programe you guys so ambitiously embarked on. Am so "dispointed" (to quote G). cis cis! Talking about the superheroes was only a ploy from the main plot which was to dig into unhealthy junk food.
sri said…
that's why you are my friend babe - you know exactly how i operate... anyway, to be really honest, we finished off the chickadee around the same time as we did ultraman. after that, we progressed to keropok, biscuits and tea. There may also have been some walnut cake, but i'm not saying
Anonymous said…
Hey Sri how are you these days, and how is Gitanjali and Muhinderen

Well I was just looking at your Crazy blog today and I myself had been thinking about old TV programs we used to watch when I was younger so I will add this.

Ultraman? what is that, I do not think we got that over here in England, however a visit to youtube.com showed me that I did not miss that much, We had 'rocket Man' instead I am sure far better about a man with a big rocket strapped to his back and he used to fly around preventing crime and beating people up.

The A Team. A very good series with Mr T and Hannibal smith, In fact I still watch it today on the reruns on cable tv

Knight Rider was always good and his camp voiced car kitt that was almost indestructable, however watching it again you realise how terrible the special effects are. but I enjoyed it!!!

Street Hawk similar to knight rider but with a motor bike instead. Music by Tangerine Dream.

Airwolf. I liked airwolf Do you remember this? stringfellow hawk and a helicopter which he used to land in a cave deep in a desert but yes airwolf was fast and could outrun even an f15?

The Fall Guy, the fall guy was cool, not seen it recently though

McGyver well the less said about this the better, a one man A Team

anyway there are many more great TV programs that I could mention but do not have the time

anyway hope you are all well and you benefit greatly from this knowledge of old TV programs
sri said…
Dear James

i did indeed benefit from your rich knowledge of old tv shows. yes, i remember airwolf.

and no, you are not better off for never knowing ultraman... Cis! he was so camp, he was cool... i bet no cities were demolished in rocket man that somehow were back for the next episode, only to be destroyed again before ultraman saved the day...

i liked fall guy too, but until today my mother's guru is McGyver. She constantly says she is the female version of McGyver, which goes to show how much he affected her...

bye rocket man,

ultra-sri
Anonymous said…
Sorry to weigh in so late, but "Justice may be blind, but it can see in the dark..." is the iconic line from DARK JUSTICE. The series ran for three seasons (66 episodes) on CBS, from 1991-1994.

Popular Posts